Thursday, April 28, 2011

Busy Lives Ahead. Expect Delays.

Suz and I have so much going on these days. Trying to keep this thing going with Easter this last weekend and Mother's Day right around the corner and countless other work and social activities. We have several things coming up for both of us in the next few weeks so know that we are very busy but going strong.

Please email us or send us links to recipes you are too afraid to try. Don't worry we don't mind being the guinea pigs.

This week we got together at my (April's) house. I made a lovely turkey potpie with phyllo dough on top... well it wasn't turkey because my husband couldn't find the right turkey he brought home lunch meat. So I used chicken breasts instead. It was also not as creamy as it was supposed to be. I asked him for half n half and he brought home vanilla flavored coffee creamer.... So after all that I would say it was fabulous! Suz made some bread sticks and a salad, but by far the best part was the sangria sorbet. (Susan and Roger... a must have for your family)

Golden Phyllo- Topped Turkey Potpie
From Weight Watcher's Hit the Spot

Not Turkey But Chicken Potpie

1 8oz package white cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 pound deli roast turkey breast cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I did the same but just with chicken)
 1 16oz package of frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 16 oz package of lima beans, thawed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tsp dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fat-free half and half
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp of black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
4 (12 X 17) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (by the way my package said at least 2 hours to thaw)

Phyllo dough at golden brown.
1. Preheat the oven to 350


2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the turkey, corn, and lima beans. Sprinkle the flour, dry mustard, and thyme over the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the broth, half and half, dijon mustard, pepper, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.

3. Transfer the turkey mixture to a 2 quart baking dish. Lightly spray 1 sheet of phyllo with nonstick spray and crumple into a very loose ball; place on top of the filling. Repeat with the remaining phyllo to cover the filling. Bake until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.

April: First let me say... chicken went fine. My step two sucked since my husband was running out to the store mid cooking to find half n half. Then my phyllo dough was crumpled and broken after thawing. In the end my main this I will say is 1 teaspoon of pepper sounds like too much and IT IS! It wasn't creamy enough for me in the center but I will say that was husband error. Otherwise I will add I did my prep work the night before. Chicken was thawed overnight and cut in the early am. Lima beans and corn thawed overnight in the fridge. I sliced the mushrooms and set them in the fridge overnight. Then I even measured out the spices. My business doesn't close until 6 so if I don't to prep work I run around like a mad woman with kids still under my feet.

Suz: Loved the phyllo - if April hadn't told me that it had crumbled, I wouldn't have known.  I agree, needed more sauce/creaminess and less pepper.

Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Rachael Ray - 30 Minute Meals

1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced thin
splash of red wine vinegar
splash of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine in a bowl. Set aside for about 20 minutes to give flavors time to meld.  Eat!

April:  I really liked it but you need a mint afterwards or you may kill someone.

Suz: You don't have to eat so many red onions, April! I loved it - the red wine vinegar gave the cukes a pickley feel.  Yum.


Bread Sticks

1 can Pillsbury pizza dough
1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1/4-1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
olive oil
cooking spray

Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.  Preheat oven according to package directions (i.e. I don't remember what temperature).  Roll open pizza dough and slice into thin strips - about 1" each and cut in half.  Place on the cookie sheets, leaving room for a little growth.  Brush dough with olive oil, then sprinkle with thyme and cheese.  Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.  Bake according to package - about 10-12 minutes.  Serve hot.  Makes a lot, but don't worry, you'll probably eat them all!

April: The only problem with these breadsticks is you can't stop eating them.

Suz: ditto what April said.

Sangria Sorbet
from Weight Watcher's Hit the Spot
\
1 (750ml) bottle white zinfandel or white merlot wine (in fine print it says you can use a fruity and light red wine such as beaujolais)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 12oz bag frozen mixed berries (we used only strawberries and blueberries)
1 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup seedless grapes, halved in large.

1. Combine the wine and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat; boil 1 minute. Stir in the frozen berries. Remove the saucepan from the heat; let it stand for 30 minutes.

2. With a slotted spoon, transfer the berries to a blender and puree. Set a sieve over the saucepan. Pour the puree through the sieve; discard the seeds. Stir in the orange juice, lime juice and lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a shallow 2 quart baking dish. Tightly cover the dish with foil and freeze overnight. Place the grapes on a plate. Tightly wrap in foil and freeze overnight.

3. Cut the sorbet into 1 inch chunks. Put half the chunks in a food processor (my blender worked just fine) and process until creamy but still frozen. Spoon into a freezer container; repeat with the remaining sorbet. Freeze, covered, until hard, at least 2 hours but up to 1 day.

4. Let the sorbet soften slightly, then scoop evenly into dessert dishes and garnish with frozen grapes. Serve at once.


April: Although this seems like a process, which it is, but since it's broken over multiple hours it feels very easy. This recipe is WELL worth all of your time and effort. Has to be one of the best recipes we have had. I promise it is not disappointing.

Suz: May need to become our signature "drink" of the summer... I was in charge of garnishing the grapes, and I totally suck at it, which was why John's sorbet looked like a weird muppet.  I didn't eat a whole serving because I was driving, but I could have easily had several...

No comments:

Post a Comment