Monday, November 22, 2010

Cozy, Warm and Easy Winter Meal

This week has been filled with holiday feasts already. April is already in a holiday whirl and Suz just celebrated her birthday! Happy Birthday, Suz-EE-Q-z.

Tonights dinner was so relaxing and easy to clean up! We are so thankful for that.

We hope that you all have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Chicken Stew Recipe

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Progresso ® Reduced-Sodium Chicken Broth
3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
1/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients; cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

Mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into stew. Cook, covered, 30 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings.

Suz: Delish!  It had almost a latin flavor, although there was no chili powder or cumin in the recipe.  I thoroughly enjoyed, and thought they were a great compliment to the biscuits, which I thought were missing something!

April: This recipe I did exactly as directed... except it sat on low for an extra half an hour or so. It was super easy to make. I cut the veggies ahead of time so I could do it at my own pace. At my first sample tastings I didn't like it at all... but when Suzanne came with the biscuits... the combination of the two made it hard for me to stop eating them together. So warm and soothing! Easy clean up too!


Bacon Biscuits
by Weight Watchers Magazine
2 cups white all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp butter, cold unsalted, cut into bits
4 slices cooked crisp turkey bacon, chopped
1 cup buttermilk, low-fat
1/4 cup Fat free milk

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. With a pastry blender or a large fork, cut in the butter to coarse crumbs. Stir in the bacon. Mix in the buttermilk and milk to form a dough.

Drop the dough by 1/4-cup measures into the pan, making 16 mounds; push the mounds together. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Serve at once.

Notes

For best results, bake the turkey bacon in a 425°F oven until brown and very crispy, 12–15 minutes. Chop it after cooking.

Although using a 1/4-cup measure or large spoon and a sharp snap of the wrist is one way to drop the dough onto the baking sheet, a 2-inch ice cream scoop with a spring-release handle is easier.

Suz: I made the dough before I left my house and then baked the biscuits at April's.  I think they would have been a little fluffier if they'd gone straight into the oven.  I thought they were missing something - next time, I might add cheddar cheese and some scallions for a little more flava!
April: I really like these biscuits. They were a little flat and brown on the bottom... thanks to my baking sheets. I ate far too many of them!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing -- LOVE comfort food! And anything cooked in a slow cooker wins points with me!

    Happy Birthday Suz!

    ReplyDelete