Monday, August 9, 2010

So Good Luke Didn't Get Any

April: Chicken tenderloins. I make them at least once a week and I'm always looking for a new way to make them. This is an altered recipe from one I found online. I made it smaller and added or took out quite a few items to make what became this "Yummy Marinade"
Yummy Marinade
10 frozen chicken tenderloins thawed.
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a medium mixing bowl mix oil, soy, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice together Add mustard, salt and pepper until dissolved. Place chicken in bowl and cover for at least an hour for the flavor to really set in. Some people say 15-30 minutes. I let mine set in for a few hours.

Suzanne: I had been itching to make this Edamame Succotash that she'd seen the recipe for in Cooking Light magazine last month.  I made a few modifications to the order in which I added stuff to the pan, but for the most part, kept the recipe pretty much in tact.  I've got to say, this makes a LOT of succotash.  The recipe says it feeds four (giants?), but I changed it to eight, especially when served as a side dish.
Edamame Succotash
from Cooking Light, August 2010
1 slice center-cut bacon
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped sweet onion
2 cups fresh corn kernels (I used frozen, it was just easier)
1 16-ounce bag of frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used about 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved)
1 red bell pepper seeded and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons torn basil
1. Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; coarsely chop bacon.
2. Increase the heat to medium- high. Melt butter in drippings in pan. Add onions and saute 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn kernels; saute for three minutes or until lightly charred.  add edamame and saute for three minutes, stirring occasionally.Stir in vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through bell pepper); cook 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon and basil.
Yields: 4 servings at 1 1/4 cups.
I added the pepper and cooked it for a few minutes before adding the vinegar, sugar, etc.  i also waited to add the tomatoes until the very end, so they were still very firm when we ate them. 



Rice: We placed the chicken on Saffron rice that Suzanne made from a package... super tasty. She got it at Kroger. Doesn't remember the name of it so we'll harass her later.



If you're counting Points, the whole meal was about 9 (4 for the chicken, 3 for the succotash, and 2 for 1/2 cup of rice).

2 comments:

  1. SO don't freak out but i tried canadian bacon instead of regular (the 1 piece thing threw me...I don't eat that much bacon!)
    And i made all of it ahead except for putting in the tomatoes and topping with bacon...will let you know how it turns out! -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat much bacon either - I ended up going to Fresh Market and buying a 1/4 pound of bacon from the butcher. I'm sure it'll be good with the canadian bacon too - let me know!

    ReplyDelete